Peace committee lauds release of government official, aid workers

Government
Typography

User Rating: 0 / 5

Star InactiveStar InactiveStar InactiveStar InactiveStar Inactive
 

The Committee for National Healing, Peace and Reconciliation (CNHPR) has commended the recent move by the SPLM in Opposition to release a senior government official and two aid workers who had been captured by the rebels.

The Committee for National Healing, Peace and Reconciliation (CNHPR) has commended the recent move by the SPLM in Opposition to release a senior government official and two aid workers who had been captured by the rebels.

 

Isaiah Chol Aruai along with two aid workers, Mading Akueth and Aleer Longar, had been in their captivity for two days.

“This is a good gesture for peace and a realization of the fact that killings and any other forms of violence are not the solution to our grievances, but sitting together to negotiate is the only way we can forge a way forward,” a press statement from the committee read.

The committee further said the conflict which started in December 2013 has been so brutal. However, it said the move by the rebels symbolizes how the wounds from the conflict are beginning to heal and the spirit of revenge subsiding.

“We call on the Government of the Republic of South Sudan to return this good gesture from the rebels by exerting more efforts to move the ongoing peace process in Addis Ababa to another level,” CNHPR said.

The committee said that one side cannot bring peace single-handedly and therefore urged the leadership of both the Government and SPLM in Opposition to reach an agreement now so as to save lives, property and the country from collapse.

“The warring parties must control their respective forces to respect the cessation of hostilities agreement and refrain from violence as talks are going on in Addis Ababa,” said the statement.

The Government and the SPLM/IO have already made a positive move by signing a power sharing deal in Addis Ababa on 31st January 2015.

“We commend this progress and still urge the two parties to move quickly and sign the final peace agreement,” said the committee.

The committee released its statement as reports emerged of renewed fighting between Sudan People’s Liberation Army and the rebels.

The government through the defense minister has accused the rebels of attacking government positions without any provocations in Unity and Upper Nile states. 

Defense minister, Kuol Manyang said the rebels used mortars and heavy weapons to shell oil-rich Unity state and parts of Upper Nile. But in a quick rejoinder, Brig. Gen. Simon Maguek Gai, a rebel commander in Unity state said government troops violated the ceasefire deal by shelling their positions on Sunday and Tuesday. He claimed the SPLA attacked the rebels in Buoth, Wichok, Thowmangor, Thaon and Guit, and that rebels only fired back in self defense.

 

 

BLOG COMMENTS POWERED BY DISQUS

Email Subscription

Sign up via our free email subscription service to receive notifications when new information is available.

Ads Banners

Sign up via our free email subscription service to receive notifications when new information is available.

[Tab] Content Navigation - Article